Evince bug if redirection to a > directory/file.ps

Added by Christian about 1 month ago

Dear users,

I run the following command:

gmt psbasemap -Jx3c/-3c -R-0/8/0/4 -Bafg --PS_PAGE_ORIENTATION=landscape -Xc -Yc > figures/profile_1.ps
gmt psconvert figures/profile_1.ps -P -Tf
evince figures/profile_1.pdf

I get the error message: EvinceView-CRITICAL **: ev_pixbuf_cache_get_selection_list: assertion 'EV_IS_PIXBUF_CACHE (pixbuf_cache)' failed

When I run the same command, but redirecting to the file directly:
gmt psbasemap -Jx3c/-3c -R-0/8/0/4 -Bafg --PS_PAGE_ORIENTATION=landscape -Xc -Yc > profile_1.ps
gmt psconvert profile_1.ps -P -Tf
evince profile_1.pdf

I don't understand why I have this problem, any idea?

Cheers,

Ch.

Replies (9)

RE: Evince bug if redirection to a > directory/file.ps - Added by Peter about 1 month ago

Have you tried comparing the two files produced, i.e. diff figures/profile_1.ps profile_1.ps if this does not return any difference (as I would expect) this is not really a GMT issue.

regP

RE: Evince bug if redirection to a > directory/file.ps - Added by Christian about 1 month ago

I just tried the diff command and there is no difference. Then a bug in gmt psconvert?

RE: Evince bug if redirection to a > directory/file.ps - Added by Joaquim about 1 month ago

Where was the pdf file created? Is it different than the one created in current dir?

RE: Evince bug if redirection to a > directory/file.ps - Added by Peter about 1 month ago

Well, if diff showed no difference, as you report, then the files are identical and the problem resides within evince (i.e. not related to GMT)

RE: Evince bug if redirection to a > directory/file.ps - Added by Christian about 1 month ago

When running:
The pdf file is actually created in figures/

Thanks Peter for that diff tip, this is why the problem probably comes from psconvert

Again no the problem is not with psconvert, if you tell psconvert to convert figures/profile_1.ps to a pdf file you will get figure/profile_1.ps (how would psconvert you wanted it elsewhere?). And since diff tells you that there is no difference whatsoever of the pdf file in figure/ and in your local folder (i.e. returns nothing when comparing the two files) the problem can only reside in the evince, no

RE: Evince bug if redirection to a > directory/file.ps - Added by Joaquim about 1 month ago

The pdf file is actually created in figures/

As mentioned in the docas (-D option)

Thanks Peter for that diff tip, this is why the problem probably comes from psconvert

What problem? Are the pdf files different?

Ok, so just to recap:

The psfiles in ./figures and ./ showed no differences
The pdfiles in ./figures and ./ showed differences (both generated by gmt psconvert $psfile -Tf )

Hence the problem:
EvinceView-CRITICAL **: ev_pixbuf_cache_get_selection_list: assertion 'EV_IS_PIXBUF_CACHE (pixbuf_cache)' failed
comes from psconvert

Then I realized that opening (evince) the pdf file generated (in the current directory) by the following command did not generate any errors:
gmt psconvert figures/profile_1.ps -P -Tf -D.

Whereas the following generated an error when opening the pdf (in ./figures directory):

Hmm, tried here with a simple example and worked fine. Note that the psconvert work ends up as a ghostscript job that you can see by using the -S option. So, ultimately the issue might be in ghostscript.

(1-9/9)