Advice needed on psimage and gdal interaction

Added by John 10 months ago

Aloha.
I'm trying to generate an animation with 3 images aligned horizontally and time-synced. I have two problems that I would appreciate advice about. Here they are.

1. I can stack them vertically already but don't know how to get them arranged horizontally. I'm looking at the manuals to see if I can see anything like this.

2. I produce one of the images using this command:
gdal_translate of Gtiff -a_ullr $COORDS \
-a_srs '+proj=longlat +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +no_defs' NETCDF:$WORK_DIR/$DATA_FILE_TR:$VARIABLE $OUTPUT_DIR/$DATA_FILE_TR
$VARIABLE.tif
This produces a geotiff of Float32 type. If I take this and subsequently convert it to Byte, which seems to be the only thing psimage can take (although the doc says elsewise), I seem to lose information and end up with only black images. I can try to put it out as byte originally but this requires running a big job. I will do that if nothing else is possible but it seems like I would end up in the same place.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. i'm probably misunderstanding something about gdal_translate and/or psimage but I'm currently adrift.

J.

Replies (15)

RE: Advice needed on psimage and gdal interaction - Added by Paul 10 months ago

So psimage is only trained to expect a byte image. If you have floating point data in the tif file then don't you want to convert that to color via a CPT? If so then you need grdimage. I mean, your tiff only has one band of 32-bit floating point numbers. What do they represent? Grayscale? Or perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are passing.

RE: Advice needed on psimage and gdal interaction - Added by Joaquim 10 months ago

Regarding point 2. Why don't you use grdimage -A directly to create the image or, for images that require more modules (e.g. pscoast), create your ps fig and use psconvert to get the image?

RE: Advice needed on psimage and gdal interaction - Added by John 10 months ago

Mahalo. That makes sense.

Looks like grdimage only accepts byte data as well. Is something amiss?

grdimage: Using data type other than byte (unsigned char) is not implemented
grdimage (GMTAPI_Import_Image): Non-unique grid format [/Volumes/Pegasus2R6/WWRF-Output-Visualization-Animation-Input/QPF-D02/QPFhourly_d02_2017-11-09_12-00-00-RAINHR.tif]
[Session gmt (0)]: Error returned from GMT API: GMT_IMAGE_READ_ERROR (22)

Could you post the grdimage command so we can see what you are doing?

Of course. I should have done. It's the 3rd gmt command below.

+ gmt psimage WWRFv1_ivt_DTwo-IIIa-2017-11-09_12:00:00-003hr.png -Dx3.75/13+w7 -F+pthin,blue -K
+ gmt psimage WWRFv1_ivt_DTwo-IIIb-2017-11-09_12:00:00-003hr.png -Dx3.75/7+w7 -F+pthin,blue -K -O
+ gmt grdimage QPF-D02/QPFhourly_d02_2017-11-09_12-00-00-RAINHR.tif -Dx3.75/7+w7 -R-123.75/-121.303/37/38.92 -Crain.cpt -K -O
grdimage: Using data type other than byte (unsigned char) is not implemented
grdimage (GMTAPI_Import_Image): Non-unique grid format [/Volumes/Pegasus2R6/WWRF-Output-Visualization-Animation-Input/QPF-D02/QPFhourly_d02_2017-11-09_12-00-00-RAINHR.tif]
+

Also, I edited out all the path information that you see in the message. I was trying to be more clear but realize that it may be confusing to have done that.

RE: Advice needed on psimage and gdal interaction - Added by Joaquim 10 months ago

- grdimage doesn't have that -D option

- Are you trying to read a tif image? What sort of tif? In first post you have a NETCDF:... so we thought it was floats array

Missing the -J option to grdimage.

I agree it's confusing. I can go back to a prior output that is NetCDF and that may be the best way to do this.
What I also find puzzling is that the geotiff that I created with gdal has a lot of NetCDF metadata in it. Seems odd but maybe kosher.
I'll try adding the -J to grdimage but why would that bear upon the input datatype message?

I'm including the tif image for your edification.

QPFhourly_d02_2017-11-09_12-00-00-RAINHR.tif - Problematic geotiff (618 KB)

So, when I remove the -D and add -J, the error message goes away. I'll do some more testing and see if this can be made workable.
J.

The tif file has only zeros

Yes. This one does but there is a time-series such that the values change. I have to give this up for now and will pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for you help.

Looks like everything is working now thanks to your advice. I've attached a single frame from the animation FYI.
Mahalo.
J.

(1-15/15)