pslegend: is there a limitation in the length of the text to add to the legend?

Added by Maarten 7 months ago

Hello,

I am experiencing an potential issue when using pslegend (GMT4.5.x). If the length of the text I want to add becomes long (around 230 characters), the programs fails and gives various error messages (that depend on the text I want to add). I was therefore wondering if there is a limit of the number of characters that can be used. Is this different for GMT5 series?

Many thanks in advance,
Maarten

Replies (4)

RE: pslegend: is there a limitation in the length of the text to add to the legend? - Added by Paul 7 months ago

There may in fact be a 256 limit. Could you please create a small example script that shows the problem and open up a new issue? It is then easier for us to diagnose and fix.

RE: pslegend: is there a limitation in the length of the text to add to the legend? - Added by Maarten 7 months ago

Yes, I will do so over the weekend
Thanks for the swift response !
Maarten

RE: pslegend: is there a limitation in the length of the text to add to the legend? - Added by Maarten 7 months ago

I had another look into it, and it may be a bit different that what I first thought.
I created a simple text file with about 230 and 300 characters, and both printed correctly using pslegend.
The issue arises when the text contains special characters, like single quotes or brackets. In those cases, it seems like there is a length limitation. Will look a bit more and create examples.

After some more fiddling, the issues appears to the characters and octal codes. The text I am trying to write contains some single quotes and others, which have to be replaced by their equivalent Standard+ or ISOLatin1+ code. I will have to edit the text files using sed or other, it seems.

(1-4/4)