gmt classic vs. modern - gmt psxy in modern mode does not draw lines

Added by Andreas 9 months ago

Super simple script; project and plot earth relief and plot coastline on top. One script in classic mode and the other in modern mode. The latter does not plot the coastline, and I do not understand why - any comments?

classic.sh Magnifier (483 Bytes)

classic.pdf (721 KB)

modern.pdf (559 KB)

modern.sh Magnifier (448 Bytes)

Replies (7)

RE: gmt classic vs. modern - gmt psxy in modern mode does not draw lines - Added by Peter 9 months ago

Hi Andreas

Don't find the psxy command in the docs, but there seems to be a plot command that fits the bill. Funny though, one would expect a warning message if trying to run a no-longer existing command (if this is the case)

RE: gmt classic vs. modern - gmt psxy in modern mode does not draw lines - Added by Andreas 9 months ago

Wow, It didnt even occur to me that psxy has a new name. Thank you Peter! Agree that a warning should be dispatched.

So it turns out my original script has two problems:

1) psxy doesnt exist in modern mode - use plot psxy does actually work in modern mode (though not mentioned on the man pages).
2) gmt pscoast -RNO,IS -ENO,IS -M does not output anything - hence there was nothing to plot in the first place. Isnt this a valid command? gmt pscoast -RNO,IS -W -M works. The command by itself works, but not in my script. I'm confused.

modern_W.sh Magnifier (445 Bytes)

modern_W.pdf (1.4 MB)

RE: gmt classic vs. modern - gmt psxy in modern mode does not draw lines - Added by Joaquim 9 months ago

In modern mode we renamed all the modules that start with 'ps'. Some only dropped the ps, like pscoast→coast, others received a new name psxy is now plot. The docs have the new names.

https://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/doc/latest/index.html

something may have to be done to smooth out the transition, but up to now. That's how it is.

RE: gmt classic vs. modern - gmt psxy in modern mode does not draw lines - Added by Joaquim 9 months ago

Another source of help is to use shiny new

gmt docs psxy

see the warning message

RE: gmt classic vs. modern - gmt psxy in modern mode does not draw lines - Added by Paul 9 months ago

The problem is that gmt pscoast os not outputting any lines in modern mode. Will have to debug why.
psxy works fine in modern mode.

(1-7/7)