Blockmean -Sn and Cartesian Data. Wadati-Benioff Zone

Added by Federico 4 months ago

I want to show the Wadati-Benioff zone. So I calculate the distance of the my earthquakes database to the trench and I plot Distance vs Depth (figure 1) which extends up to 4960 and 627 km respectively.

But then I wanted to make a heatmap from that data showing the density of earthquakes in the same graphic. So I use blockmean -Sn to count the earthquakes but the result is limited to a geographic domain (Fig. 2 and Screen Capture, up to 360 and 90).

gmt blockmean -R "quake_dist.dat" -Sn -C > "temp_Heatmap.xyz" -I100k

I have to divide my data by 100 before using blockmean to obtained the desired graphic (Fig 3).

Is it correct to use Blockmean with cartesian data or I should use another tool? In the first case, how can avoid divide my data? Is it a bug?

quake_dist.dat - Earhtquakes database (Distance to trench vs Depth) (897 KB)

EJ11.1_Perfil_Topografico_Sismos.png - Fig 2. Data domain restricted to 360 a 90. (25.7 KB)

EJ11.1_Perfil_Topografico_Sismos_Div100.png - Fig 3. Database 100 DIV. (31.4 KB)

Captura.PNG - Screen Capture (11.1 KB)

EJ11.1_Perfil_Topografico_Sismos_xy.png - Fig 1. (Distance to trench vs Depth) (33.6 KB)

Heatmap_Wadati-Benioff.bat - Script (2.29 KB)

Replies (2)

RE: Blockmean -Sn and Cartesian Data. Wadati-Benioff Zone - Added by Paul 4 months ago

There is no restriction on block* to only do geographic. You are free to blockmean any data for any domain. But when you say -I100k it means "My data is in degrees but I want an interval in 100 km". This implies limits on lon/lat. Cartesian data have no units in GMT. Imagine if your y coordinate was in temperature Celsius. Would you say -I100C ?

RE: Blockmean -Sn and Cartesian Data. Wadati-Benioff Zone - Added by Federico 4 months ago

Thank you Paul. It works perfectly.

(1-2/2)