Projected Coordinate System of Shapefiles (.shp) to use in GMT

Added by amit about 1 year ago

Hello,
I have two issues:

(1) I am using ESRI shapefiles which are in Projected Coordinate System: WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_43N (Projection: Transverse_Mercator). Do I need to project (convert) them to Geographic coordinates system (GCS_WGS_1984) in order to use in GMT or Not. Is it possible to use WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_43N* for .gmt files.

(2) I have several columns of average annual rainfalls(1990-2000) in shapefiles. I would like to make spatial maps of rainfall for each year. Please see the attached picture for reference.

I used orgr2ogr to convert shapefile to .gmt file. But I am not able to see all yearly data (1990-2000) in .gmt file (when opened with notepad++).

Please suggest me how to plot in GMT for each year data. The number of plots will be 11 (1990-2000) with same color scale (cpt). Using these plots, we can see variations in average rainfall from 1990-2000.

Thanks
cheer-
amit

subbasins_shapefiles.JPG - Read shapefiles in GMT (522 KB)

Replies (2)

RE: Projected Coordinate System of Shapefiles (.shp) to use in GMT - Added by Joaquim about 1 year ago

The solution involves using psxy and the -a option to fill the polygons. I'm sorry to not be more helpful but this part of GMT is not my strongest. Also, having an example file to experiment would be helpful.

RE: Projected Coordinate System of Shapefiles (.shp) to use in GMT - Added by Paul about 1 year ago

If you cannot see the data you expect to be there after ogr2ogr then the latter failed to convert all the data. if you are able to share a small shape file (*.zip) and your commands ogr2ogr and your plot command so we can try to reproduce it we can have a look.

(1-2/2)